Senior Data Scientist
PhysIQ is a transformational leader in applying highly sophisticated technology to solve some of the most pressing problems in healthcare. More specifically, we are forging the frontier of healthcare delivery at the intersection of mobile technology and artificial intelligence. Our team is comprised of veteran technologists and world-class data scientists and our solutions set the market standard for scalability and sophistication. Furthermore, we are implementers with a proven track record of transforming an audacious technological vision into mission-critical solutions for our customers.
- Our core values are simple and are defined by integrity, passion and relentless drive toward solving the impossible.
- We are a team in its purest definition. We all pull on the rope together, in the same direction, with the same intensity.
- Our customers and their patients depend on us to deliver technology that will forever change healthcare. We are literally keeping people out of the hospital. We are changing lives.
In our world, amazing things only happen when people make them happen. If you want to make things happen and do it with a world-class of team of visionaries and doers, we encourage you to apply.
The person in this job is responsible for all functions expected of an experienced data scientist in physIQ’s research group, namely to develop, advance and validate the analytical technologies of the company; implement, test and deliver production code into the product to generate analytics; implement, test and evaluate competitive and prior art analytics technologies; support statistical analyses of the company’s clinical studies and trials; develop patentable inventions; develop and implement software tools for algorithmic research and clinical statistical analysis; and document analyses, algorithms and related product features. This position is heavily involved in advancing the core analytical capabilities of the company’s products. The mission of the person in this position is to deliver robust analytical methods for productization and to expose and explain phenomena of interest in clinical physiological data.
- Algorithm Development and Testing. This position develops new algorithms or improves existing algorithms for a variety of health assessments, activity and behavior recognition, diagnoses, device performance metrics and any other automated signal processing or machine learning technique that might be used on the company’s human subject data. An example is development of a new index for orthopneic breathing based on physiology telemetry measured by sensors. This responsibility includes testing
- Clinical Data Analysis. This involves analysis of (typically continuous ambulatory) data collected in clinical studies or available from customer de-identified datasets on human subjects accessible to physIQ, for any kind of evaluation of results or for any kind of analytics troubleshooting. An example would be analyzing clinical outcomes in a study versus analytical predictions.
- Generate Specifications and Deliver Production Analytics. This position writes and delivers production code relating to analytical methods in physIQ’s products, primarily in Python language; and writes associated documentation. This position is involved in writing, evaluating, critiquing, meeting about, tracking in online systems and updating product specifications about algorithms and on occasion other functionality in the product. Examples include: Writing a formal specification and code for a new algorithm; participating in meetings to review product specifications; contributing ideas for new product features that may become specifications; and updating specifications with approved changes.
- Evaluate Competitive Algorithms. This position implements, evaluates and characterizes the efficacy and weaknesses of competitors’ algorithms. These activities often involve formal written reports on the findings and presentations to other physIQ staff.
- Research Tool Development. This position is involved in developing tools and infrastructure for at-scale and repeatable analytics research, particularly using cloud and web resources.
- Publish and Patent. This position should generate publishable research papers and patentable inventions as opportunities arise. This position will also be involved in analyzing the existing patent landscape and developing strategies for staking out patent positions on company technology and avoiding infringement of 3rd party IP.
- Conduct and Report on Data Studies. To advance the analytics, this position is involved in aspects of conducting bench data collection activities and data studies, including developing protocols, conducting data collection from subjects, analyzing collected data and writing reports. An example of this is doing an activity study on treadmills with sensor devices using volunteers.
- Analytics Platform Troubleshooting. When challenging bugs show up in the performance of the analytics platform product or associated sensor hardware, that require evaluating and analyzing clinical data, the person in this position performs all necessary steps to conduct troubleshooting when assigned to do so.
- Quality Systems and FDA Validation Work. This position is responsible for participating in the quality management systems of the company and conducting validation testing of algorithms in support of FDA 510(k) or De Novo submissions
- Mentoring Less Experienced Hires. This position is responsible to mentor new hires and interns as needed with respect to tools, procedures, and technology.
- Other. The company may reasonably ask this person to contribute to any other business activity of the company for which the person has sufficient capability and which does not impose an unreasonable burden or unreasonable safety risk.
- Bachelor’s degree from 4-year college program in science, engineering, math or related quantitative program
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar role
- Advanced literacy to code in at least one of the programming languages of: Python, MATLAB, R
- Written English fluency
- 4 or more years of work experience in positions relating to data science or analytics
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with deep learning tools (e.g. PyTorch, TensorFlow, MATLAB NN Toolbox, etc.)
- Google cloud computing and cloud storage familiarity
- Experience with wearable sensor data biosignal processing/analysis experience
- Experience with biostatistical/clinical trials analysis approaches
- Experience with version control software